The Health Policy Project has ended, but work continues under a new USAID five-year project, Health Policy Plus (HP+).
Software and Models
Note: The Goals Model is now contained in Spectrum. Only use this Excel version if you intend to use the Capacity Module of the Goals Model, which projects human resource and training needs to meet program goals.
The Goals Model is intended to support strategic planning at the national level by providing a tool to link program goals and funding. The model can help answer several key questions:
- How much funding is required to achieve the goals of the strategic plan?
- What goals can be achieved with the available resources?
- What is the effect of alternate patterns of resource allocation on the achievement of program goals?
- What training is required to deliver the projected services?
The Goals Model does not provide all the answers. It is intended to assist planners in understanding the effects of funding levels and allocation patterns on program impact. The model can help planners understand how funding levels and patterns can lead to reductions in HIV incidence and prevalence and improved coverage of treatment, care, and support programs. It does not, however, calculate the "optimum" allocation pattern or recommend a specific allocation of resources among prevention, care, and mitigation.
The model runs under Microsoft Excel. Full details of the methodology and assumptions are presented in the manual.
Some of the files in this software package were developed by our predecessor projects, the POLICY Project and the USAID|Health Policy Project, and the links will open files from those project websites.
- Goals Model For Estimating the Effects of Resource Allocation Decisions on the Achievement of the Goals of the HIV/AIDS Strategic Plan (PDF)
- HIV/AIDS Resource Allocation and the GOALS Model: Improving Decision Making, Expanding Participation (PDF)
- La Asignación de Recursos para VIH/SIDA y el Modelo GOALS: Mejorando la Toma de Decisiones, Expandiendo la Participación (PDF)
- Modèle Goals pour évaluer les effets des décisions relatives à l'affectation des ressources sur la réalisation des objectifs du Plan stratégique contre le VIH/SIDA (PDF)
- Modelo Goals Para calcular los efectos de las decisiones sobre asignación de recursos respecto del logro de metas del Plan estratégico sobre el VIH/SIDA (PDF)