Author(s): Tamara Windau-Melmer
Primary Language: English
Developed with support from the USAID-funded Health Policy Project, A Guide for Advocating for Respectful Maternity Care is a comprehensive resource centered on the Respectful Maternity Care charter, a groundbreaking consensus document that demonstrates the legitimate place of maternal health rights within the broader context of human rights. Written for national-level advocates, this guide presents a variety of ways to (1) build a sense of entitlement among women and communities regarding respectful maternity care (RMC) and (2) advocate for the institutionalization of RMC as a core value of the maternal care system. Specifically, the guide provides information and user-friendly tools and techniques to help advocates
- Raise awareness and generate demand from civil society for RMC rights;
- Mobilize communities to hold local leaders and service providers accountable for RMC rights; and
- Secure commitment at the national level to institutionalize RMC as the standard of care.
Also available for download as individual documents are the charter, titled Respectful Maternity Care: The Universal Rights of Childbearing Women, and accompanying brochure and poster (in English, Arabic, French, and Spanish).
- Women Transforming: Empowering Women Leaders for Country-Led Development
- Promoting Gender Equality in India: Three Approaches to Scale-up.
- HPP GeoHealth Mapping Using Geospatial Analysis to Understand the Local HIV Epidemic in KwaZulu-Natal Province and eThekwini Municipality in South Africa
- Political Will for Health System Devolution in Kenya: Insights from Three Counties